Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Citing a Resource for my Informational Report

January 19, 2012


English 102-42: Intermed College Writing



Citing a Resource for my Informational Report:

A Brief Description of Genre and Summary of its Utilization in the Paper


For one of my cited sources in my upcoming informational report, I will be using an article entitled, Teaching Writing to Elementary Students in Grades 4-6: A National Survey1. This article is taken from the academic educational journal Elementary School Journal, which will add relevancy to my topic since it relates specifically to elementary teachers, as opposed to other, higher level professionals in the teaching field. The genre of academic journal articles should have reputable sources, and in keeping with this ideal, this specific article is published by the University of Chicago Press. It was originally published as well by two professors from Vanderbilt University.


To utilize my source to its utmost, I will choose a specific quote or quotes which are pertinent to my informational report. Since the latter majority of this article relates more to the students'---instead of the teacher's---writing, I will focus more on earlier portions of the article speaking about how much writing the teacher does compared to the students. I will also focus on the statistics the article cites about what types of writing the teacher formulates to assign to his or her students. The combination of both of these viewpoints will lead to useful information for my report.

1Gilbert, Steve Graham. “Teaching Writing to Elementary Students in Grades 4-6: A National Survey.” Elementary School Journal June 2010: 494-518.

No comments:

Post a Comment